Tom Brady threw for 201 yards and three touchdowns as the Tampa Bay Buccaneers won their first Super Bowl in 18 years, defeating the Kansas City Chiefs 31-9 in Super Bowl LV. He also was named Super Bowl MVP for a fifth time.
A seventh championship for the G.O.A.T. quarterback and first in Tampa after joining the team in the offseason.
An odd Super Bowl on Sunday night with Raymond James Stadium as the backdrop and a bigger emphasis on the COVID-19 pandemic, along with a nation facing a deep political divide.
Brady, 43, outplayed his counterpart, Patrick Mahomes, who is undoubtedly the future of the league. No torch being passed with the Buccaneers QB and MVP looking to fulfill his two-year deal signed after spending two decades with the New England Patriots. Brady and his offense scored 30 or more points in all four of their playoff games.
The Buccaneers were the first team to play a Super Bowl at their home stadium and jumped out to an early lead. Brady’s favorite target to come out of retirement, tight end Rob Gronkowski, caught two touchdowns and Leonard Fournette added another score.
As for the Chiefs, a disappointing end to the season after trying to be the first team to win back-to-back titles since the Patriots did it in 2004. Mahomes and the high-powered offense never go off the ground. The Chiefs never got into the end zone with Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce held to a combined 206 yard
Mahomes played injured and without two starting offensive tackles, forcing him to scramble most of the night. He finished going 26-of-49 for 270 yards and two interceptions.
Tampa Bay head coach Bruce Arians, 68, becomes the oldest to win a Super Bowl. Brady is the oldest quarterback to ever win a Super Bowl ring, and he accomplished that feat two years ago.
1. Super Bowl LV: Tampa Bay Buccaneers defeat Kansas City Chiefs, 31-9
2. 1:40, 4th QTR: Devin White seals the victory for Bucs
3. Commercial Break #19: Alexa’s new body
4. 4:06, 4th QTR: Bucs Defense pulls out another stop, 31-9
5. Commercial Break #18 Get “real” hard
6. 5:03, 4th QTR: Streaker runs on the field with a great play-by-play
7. Commercial Break #17: Jeep wants the country to unite
8. 8:12, 4th QTR: Bucs punt up 22 with time running out on Kansas City
9. Commercial Break #16: Scissorhands Hybrid
10. 13:43 4th QTR: Chiefs stall on 4th down with turnover
11. Commercial Break #15: A powerful COVID-19 message from the NFL
12. End of the 3rd Quarter: Bucs lead 31-9 with Chiefs driving
13. Commercial Break #14: Cheetos wins the night with a Shaggy take
14. Commercial Break #14: Coming 2 America is coming soon on Prime Video
15. 2:50, 3rd QTR: Succop add a field goal; Bucs lead 31-9
16. Commercial Break #13: High Fiverr for a political jab
17. 6:30, 3rd QTR: Mahomes picked by Winfield; Tampa Bay up big looking for more
18. Commercial Break #12: T-Mobile wins, again
19. 7:45, 3rd QTR: Lenny to the House for six, 28-9 Tampa Bay leads
20. Commercial Break #11: It’s Wayne’s World “Okurrr”
21. 11:31, 3rd QTR: Chiefs adds another field goal to cut Bucs lead, 21-9
22. Pepsi Super Bowl LV Halftime Show featuring The Weeknd
23. Pepsi Super Bowl LV Halftime Show featuring The Weeknd
24. Halftime in Tampa: Buccaneers up 21-6 over defending champs
25. 0:06, 2nd QTR: Brady to Brown for his third TD of the game. Bucs lead 21-6
26. Commercial Break #10: Living in 5G
27. 1:04, 2nd QTR: Chiefs add three with a 34-yard Butker FG, 14-6 Tampa Bay leads
28. Commercial Break #9: Be kind to your clothes
29. 2 Minute Warning before Halftime: Chiefs driving down the field
30. Commercial Break # 8: Fairy God Mayo
31. 6:05, 2nd QTR: Brady to Gronk for a second touchdown; Bucs up 14-3
32. Commercial Break #7: Oat Milk bombs
33. 9:09, 2nd QTR (7-3, TB): Another KC punt giving Brady and the Bucs great field position
34. Commercial Break #6: 2020 was a Lemon of a year
35. 10:55, 2nd QTR; A HUGE 4th and goal stop by Kansas City, 7-3 Tampa Bay leads
36. Commercial Break #5: Drake’s Discount Double-Check
37. 14:56, 2nd QTR: Chiefs punt for the third time in the playoffs
38. Super Bowl LV: Tampa Bay 7, Kansas City 3- End of 1st QTR
39. Commercial Break #4: This Bud’s for you
40. Bucs Answer: Brady to Gronk for an 8-yard touchdown pass to take a 7-3 lead; 0:37, 1st QTR
41. Commercial Break #3: Flat Matt finds a 3D world
42. Kansas City take a lead with a 49-yard FG from Harrison Butker, 5:14, 1st QTR
43. Commercial break #2: Sesame Street and Grubhub come together
44. 8:41, 1st QTR (0-0): Buccaneers held to another three and out; punt to KC
45. Commercial Break #1: M&M for the win “sorry your name is Karen”