Listen Live
Rudy Giuliani Appears Before Michigan State Legislature's House Oversight Committee

Source: Rey Del Rio / Getty

Rudy Giuliani, the former Mayor of New York City and Donald Trump’s personal attorney, has tested positive for the Coronavirus, Trump announced Sunday.

“Get better soon Rudy, we will carry on!!!” President Trump wrote on Twitter.

No specific update was initially provided by Giuliani, but he later responded with a tweet of his own. “Thank you to all my friends and followers for all the prayers and kind wishes,” Giuliani wrote. “I’m getting great care and feeling good. Recovering quickly and keeping up with everything.” A source familiar with the situation told CNN he was admitted to Georgetown University Hospital on Sunday.

Giuliani has spent the past three weeks on a courtroom tour in several battleground states as the face of Trump’s legal challenges to overturn the results of the 2020 presidential election, which to date hasn’t yielded any success.

The President’s nearly impossible task was taken up by the former mayor weeks after he claimed to be in possession of damaging files found on a laptop belonging to Hunter Biden. Nothing has come of the situation after Giuliani said evidence was turned over to Delaware State Police.

Giuliani is the 53rd person connected to the White House to test positive for COVID-19. The 76-year-old has repeatedly disregarded public health guidelines by not wearing a mask or social distancing at Trump Campaign events including recent stops this past week in Arizona, Michigan, and Georgia. All three visits were in front legislators for each respective state, and a majority of his time with them was mask-less.

Giuliani’s positive test also comes nearly a month after his son, Andrew, tested positive for Covid-19 after attending a Trump campaign news conference with his father in Washington, DC.

The number of COVID-19 cases have continued to rise in the U.S. with a new daily record being set prior to the weekend. According to Johns Hopkins University, 229,077 new cases were reported on Friday, which is a new all-time high since the pandemic started back in March of this year. In the same week the death toll went above 2,500 per day for the first time since May 6.