Five people were killed including two Watagua County Sheriff’s deputies near Boone, North Carolina after a day-long standoff, according to officials Thursday.
Several police agencies including North Carolina State Patrol responded after a gunman barricaded himself inside a residence in the Brown’s Chapel area of Watauga County.
Officers were called on Wednesday morning for a welfare check in the 530 block of Hardaman Circle in Boone. This was reportedly after the homeowner and his family were unaccounted for and did not show up for work.
“Upon entering the home, deputies received gunfire from an unknown individual within the residence. Two deputies received gunshot wounds,” according to authorities.
Sgt. Chris Ward was airlifted to Johnson City (Tenn.) Medical Center for treatment. He died from his injuries shortly after being transported. K-9 Deputy Logan Fox was killed at the scene. Sheriff Len Hagaman didn’t immediately release information about what led up to Fox’s death.
“This is an incredibly tragic situation and our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved as well as their families and our community,” Hagaman said. “I greatly appreciate the tremendous support we are receiving from law enforcement agencies across the region and the state.”
Authorities confirmed the suspected gunman killed a husband and wife before taking his own life. Their names are not being released at this time.
- Friday GMBT Entire Show (5/26/23)
- Atty. Says What Fire Victims’ Families Can Expect
- NC Speaker Moore Talks Cotham & Latest Bills
- Previewing NC GOP Convention with Michael Whatley
- Friday Hangover: “Kooky” Stories
- Wait! Key figures in Durham probe refused to participate?
- Good news! The feds ID’d the J6 bomber vehicle (05-26-2023–Hour2)
- Unanimous US Supreme Court rules in favor of property rights (05-26-2023–Hour1)
- PRRI 2022 Census of American Religion: Religious Affiliation Updates and Trends
- Jack Dorsey Wants CIA, NSA, FBI Splintered Into ‘A Thousand Pieces’
Senator John Fetterman is not Okay
We're all racists now as NC finally rolls out Voter ID
Graham: No tax on overtime pay - Hour 2
Husband of Interim Supt. Part Of CMS Controversy
Charlotte Job & Recruitment Fair Presented by Radio One, Inc.
Stupid person claims waking up early is "rooted in white supremacy" - Hour 3
No, NC high school vandalism isn't a prank Hour 2
Marcus Brandon: We spend more $ than anyone in the world with the least outcomes. Especially Black & Brown kids.