Five people were killed including two Watagua County Sheriff’s deputies near Boone, North Carolina after a day-long standoff, according to officials Thursday.
Several police agencies including North Carolina State Patrol responded after a gunman barricaded himself inside a residence in the Brown’s Chapel area of Watauga County.
Officers were called on Wednesday morning for a welfare check in the 530 block of Hardaman Circle in Boone. This was reportedly after the homeowner and his family were unaccounted for and did not show up for work.
“Upon entering the home, deputies received gunfire from an unknown individual within the residence. Two deputies received gunshot wounds,” according to authorities.
Sgt. Chris Ward was airlifted to Johnson City (Tenn.) Medical Center for treatment. He died from his injuries shortly after being transported. K-9 Deputy Logan Fox was killed at the scene. Sheriff Len Hagaman didn’t immediately release information about what led up to Fox’s death.
“This is an incredibly tragic situation and our thoughts and prayers are with everyone involved as well as their families and our community,” Hagaman said. “I greatly appreciate the tremendous support we are receiving from law enforcement agencies across the region and the state.”
Authorities confirmed the suspected gunman killed a husband and wife before taking his own life. Their names are not being released at this time.
- 12-07-2023: Is CMPD Hiring Unqualified Officers?
- Debate Reaction & More on The Brett Winterble Show
- City of Hope with David Chadwick
- The Trumpless debates actually do matter (12-07-2023–Hour3)
- Nikki Haley takes fire as her opponents try to slow her momentum (12-07-2023–Hour2)
- GOP debate: Christie is guilty of what he accuses his opponents (Hour 1)
- GOP Debate Highlights and Therapeutic Thursday (12-7-23)
- Good Morning BT Entire Thursday December 7th Show
- Good Morning BT: Brent and Hailey Sanders 12-7-23
- Good Morning BT: Mick Mulvaney 12-7-23
Gov. Newsom's wife throws in the towel (Hour 1)
They could've been the GASTONIA BANANAS?!?!
Police beatings and decriminalizing weed (Hour 2)
12-05-2023: Wild NC Congressional Shakeup
Frank Reich Fired
Charges dropped in biscuit-baker beatdown (Hour 1)
The Vince Coakley Radio Program